saraelisabet

...observations on my life and things around me...

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

roads of life

I wrote this a couple days ago...

I like turning the key and hearing the engine roar. I like deciding when to switch gears or switch lanes or switch radio stations. And I dearly love steering up the curvy portion of Spring Mill at 40 mph. Never mind that the speed limit is 25 right there...

So basically, that's how I like my life to work. I like to feel the car swerve when I jerk the steering wheel. But lately I haven't felt that level of control. It's like I keep turning the key but the engine refuses to start. Then it starts, but it's going backwards. Straight at a cliff. See what I mean? Not very fun.

I have this devotional book I got from Mr. Baumer at graduation. I started it but lately I haven't read it at all, probably because I subconsiously decided I didn't need it. All the lessons are very simple, like "pray for your enemies" and "don't just talk the walk, live the walk". Stuff I already knew. Well, today's was about patience. How our lives are run by God, on His plan, on His timetable.

I guess I need the book after all, because I finally figured out why my car is going backwards. It's because God is running my car. If it turns on when I turn the key, it's because God let it. If it doesn't, it's because God knows something better for me. I still don't know why my car is going backwards, but God has a reason. Maybe falling off a cliff would be good for me?


So that's what was going through my head one day... Today I don't feel quite so pessimistic. I think God decided that I really don't need to fall off a cliff, so He put my car in forward and I'm going down a slightly bumpy country road. In the sunshine, however. And who knows, there might be a horse around the next bend!!

I know some of my friends are on worse roads than others...and you feel like you lost your roadmap...but remember, God is the one in charge! You might be in the driver's seat but God directs your car, ahem, your life.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home