saraelisabet

...observations on my life and things around me...

Monday, July 03, 2006

thoughts I shared at 7:30 am this morning

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man's religion is worthless. This is pure and undefiled religion in the eyes of our God and Father, to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.
From the amazing, living God (more or less...I memorized this chapter so I typed it out instead of finding a Bible, so a word or two might be wrong ;-))

I used this passage for devotions for the other interns this morning because it reminds us why we're here. Even though the Eastside families aren't usually widows or orphans, we are helping the needy, which is what James is getting at. I like being at camp, but sometimes when things are hectic it's easy to forget that I am here for one Person and one Person alone. In fact, I am here, as in here on earth, for Him alone, too. That's why it is so important to be separate from the world in everything I do. That's why James doesn't only say that we need to be nice to people. We must also show them Jesus by who we are and what we do.

Keeping oneself unstained seems impossible. I slip up so often. I fail to consider others' feelings. I do things without thinking --or fail to do things I should do --and end up hurting people. I am selfish. I think I can handle things and just make a big ol' mess of them. Yes, being unstained is impossible.

That is why Christ died on the cross. I am not the only one that finds the task of perfection unattainable (I even mess that up and get all perfectionist and crazy! Help!). Christ is the bridge between sinful man and holy God.

Questions? Consult the Bible.

In case you're wondering, my life is going fine.

2 Comments:

  • At 11 July, 2006 20:43 , Blogger Mary said...

    hey sara! I haven't talked to you in what seems like forever. I really liked your post. Lately I've been feeling down cause of work and haven't really done anything about it....I've just let the problem grow. bad idea!! I really need to cheer up...for many reasons. so, yeah....thanks for writing that :o). I miss you!!!

    loveth,
    --Mara

     
  • At 13 July, 2006 22:16 , Blogger Jeremiah said...

    Excellent post and amen to that! =D

    Thanx for the poem comment. =)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home