saraelisabet

...observations on my life and things around me...

Monday, May 01, 2006

Pastor OK's Skara From Pulpit Sunday Evening

Pastor Olivetti is way cool. I've always sort of wondered exactly how far we should go in applying the verse in Proverbs 26 that talks about not deceiving your neighbor and then saying, "I was only joking!" Fun and joking is a large part of my life. I think God has a sense of humor, too, but I'm not always sure if pastors do. So I was very happy to hear this from the pulpit tonight about the Proverbs verse...

"This is not saying don't do practical jokes."

Yes!! The purpose of Skara is pastor-endorsed!!

He went on to explain that this means that we shouldn't use "escape clauses" to get out of things we do. "I hurt your feelings when I said you were ugly? Chill, dude, I was only joking." When you hurt someone, you have to go repent. This means admitting that you did wrong, not trying to explain it away as "OK," and it also means asking for forgiveness.

4 Comments:

  • At 01 May, 2006 05:25 , Blogger Charity said...

    Yeah I struggle with that sometimes...mostly just with my siblings. my parents often reprove me for saying something and I reply with, "I was just kidding!" Though you have to be careful in 'joking' about certian stuff... different people react different ways. Some people like being teased, while others take whatever you say to heart.

    ANd I agree that Jared is way cool. :-)

     
  • At 01 May, 2006 05:35 , Blogger Ellie said...

    Ohhh I know... there are certain people who can tell when I'm joking and just think its funny, but then other people take whatever I say so seriously.

     
  • At 01 May, 2006 22:06 , Blogger Amy Thorne said...

    Wisdom is sweet.

    I only wish I had some.

     
  • At 02 May, 2006 09:02 , Blogger SaraY said...

    Charitio and Eleanor~ Agree full-heartedly!! You have to be especially careful what you say on the internet--it's so easy to be taken the wrong way.

    Rebekah Joy~ I know I'm crazy :-). Fireside was great and my sister did indeed come.

    Amy~ Me too. :-P It would have come in handy about 12.4 million times so far this week...and let's see, it's only Tuesday...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home