saraelisabet

...observations on my life and things around me...

Monday, April 24, 2006

true art


Today in Art History class (which the amazing Ross Cerbus attended) we were treated a lecture on modern architecture, which Kara denounced as "ugly." Yes, some of it is not attractive in the least; for example this rather plainish apartment building by Mies Van Der Rohe lacks any excitement or ravishing beauty. However, when I think of Mies Van Der Rohe I get excited because what comes to mind is lovely chairs such as the following.

This one is called a Barcelona chair and it is quite a classic.



Here is another example in radiant color. Sigh... (The sigh is what happens you gaze at this and then look up to be surrounded by a dorm room that pretty much lacks any aesthetic qualities.)



Last piece of furniture, I promise. I suppose the Barcelona chair is his best and I won't make you look at any more metal and leather concoctions after this:


So why does Professor Parrish feel that he must show pictures of large glass boxes but he omits chairs which very clearly are art of a high order? This might be the first time I am disappointed in this class. No, I was disappointed after some naked-women lectures too, I suppose.

Good night!

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home