saraelisabet

...observations on my life and things around me...

Saturday, November 05, 2005

28 to 21

The Boilers actually won a football game--isn't that great?? And I went to it, too! It was my very first Purdue football game. Boy am I glad they won :-).

After the game I went to a Parent's Dinner at church that my parents came to. I just got back from a rather circuitous trip home with Mia and Christie. Mia took home some of the fish that were part of the table decorations so we went to Wal-Mart to buy a home for them, as well as some food and decorative gravel stuff.

While we were in line I was reading the covers for some of the magazines...looks like Britney and Kevin are headed to Splitsville as well as Jessica and Nick...most of the stuff is garbage in case you couldn't tell! There was one cover, though, that had "then" and "now" pictures of some actresses, proclaiming how much "healthier" they have become. The "then" pictures were disgustingly thin, and the "now"s were still skinny but more normal. We've all heard about how bad the media is in this area, showing "perfect" models, and bringing about anorexia, etc. in teenage girls. We've heard so much, in fact, that some media people are wising up and having articles like the one I saw, portraying larger women in their ads, celebrating size, and on and on. But does this really work? If every single teen mag stops showing exclusively skinny models is it really going to change things? Yes we celebrate different sizes...but deep in their hearts girls are still going to be jealous of the skinny blonde and they are still going to want to see something else in the mirror even if their own body size and shape is plastered on billboards and fills up "Seventeen" pages.

I suppose I should have a point to this rambling...I think it is something along the lines of, I appreciate that the media is going more towards normal and away from sickly skinny. However, given the nature of girls, I'm not sure that it will do a whole lot of good. Girls are not stupid. They know that the skinny actresses are the ones that make it to the big screen. They know that the media is being pushed to portray "healthy" and "size diversity", but they also know that in real life, the skinny girls that stole their boyfriends last month are twenty pounds lighter than they are.

This topic is now open for discussion. So, discuss away!

7 Comments:

  • At 07 November, 2005 08:58 , Blogger Jeremiah said...

    Hollywood is idealistic and everything is being pushed by fads. The media eats it all up.

    If you can do something about improving your weight, by all means, go for it. But do it for yourself, not because of what the media and the ex-boyfriend says. Do it because you want a healthier lifestyle.

    And the ex-boyfriend that went for the lighter girl? His view of people is an exterior one. He's not worth the time of day.

    Yes, I am talking to a fictional girl. But it's better than talking to myself, answering myself, and say "Hm? What did you say?" to myself.

     
  • At 07 November, 2005 17:05 , Blogger Josh said...

    they won for you Sara. You should go to all the games so maybe we can get to a bowl game next year

     
  • At 07 November, 2005 21:35 , Blogger SaraY said...

    I'm going to the bucket so we better win that one!!!!!!

    Lol Jeremiah I can totally picture you saying, "Hm? What did you say?" to yourself.

     
  • At 10 November, 2005 14:58 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i agree with you too.
    i like your blog. your picture needs a little.... work. maybe you should Edit out the face!

     
  • At 11 November, 2005 15:17 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    darn Bek!
    well you know Sarah didn't seem to mind about the comment. I was just giveing some Constructive criticism. Ok well Bek you need to get off my back and lighten up a little! If Sarah minded than i would have said sorry but she didn't seem, to or she was just being more mature than you (but of corse thats really not saying much) and not saying any thing. hey Sarah maybe you could go out with me... we might have to change a phew things thought but that wont be that hard. i could do it for your christmas presant. So what do you say SARAH (not Bec!)??

     
  • At 11 November, 2005 22:43 , Blogger SaraY said...

    A couple comments...
    Bekah I love you!! And I miss you horribly and it is great that you are coming up on Sunday!!

    Ronald, some things you need to learn about me:
    a) how to spell my name
    b) how to spell, period ("phew?")
    c) I don't want to go out with *anyone* right now.
    d) I don't celebrate Christmas.

    And that is all for now!! This is not exactly the discussion I intended to start....

     
  • At 12 November, 2005 11:21 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    wow bec! thats enspering. really i am not kidding! your right too.
    well i take it you guys don't like me. Ok well.... yeah that was rude Saray i am sorry. Also Bec i am sorry.
    I just moved out of The US and i can't make any friends where i am at so i guess i wanted to see if i could do it over the Internet and i guess i tryed to do it the wrong way.
    I just found this 's blog (i think her name was Charity) and i wanted to check out her friends blogs so i did. but i don't thank they like me.
    well i guess i will leave you guys a lone now. but i guess i am sorry, it was rude maybe i will think about getting a hart. But what is the point of having a hart when you dad just comes a long and shaters it into peaces and Leaves!?!
    well sorry for bothering you all. good bye.
    P.S. did you even read my web site name?
    ronaldsworldwhichsucks *hint hint*

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home