saraelisabet

...observations on my life and things around me...

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

public speaking

In an hour I have to give a speech for my class at IUPUI. I am not looking forward to it. My speech is OK (if people laugh when they're supposed to) but not spectacular. However, it's memorized so it's too late to write a new one. The topic is me, so thankfully I didn't have to do any research. However, I can't explain myself in 1:30 to 3 minutes. That's impossible! My speech is just about 2:45. I surely hope I don't go over!

I already had speech in high school with Mrs. Baumgardener, and I wasn't terrible, but I wasn't perfect either. One time I couldn't remember a word (that I had just said, too!) so I just said, whatever, you guys know what I mean. I got marked down for that. This class I'm taking now is gonna be tougher. There's a lot more reading and assignments, plus the speeches have to be well-researched. Oh joy. At least I don't have to take it next year! That's why I'm doing it now.

I have noticed that my comments have tapered off significantly since that whole Christmas thing. I know that it is more interesting to try to convince people of your views that read about the mundane happenings in my life which right now is basically school, but you should still comment. Otherwise I will be very sad because I will think that no one likes my blog :-(. So just comment! If you don't know what to say, tell me what your middle name is or something.

Question: Is "gonna" a real word? Is it true that "ain't" ain't a word because it ain't in the dictionary?

4 Comments:

  • At 18 January, 2005 17:57 , Blogger David Pulliam said...

    Well, what do you define as a word?

     
  • At 19 January, 2005 01:58 , Blogger Brian said...

    How'd the speech go?
    The words are words that are used in speaking, but as far as being real words...no not really to my knowledge, but of course the dictionary is a good place to start...

     
  • At 20 January, 2005 14:47 , Blogger Ellie said...

    ain't is a word and it is in the dictionary even though it just says that it is slang. :)
    well I hope your speech goes well! Luv ya!

     
  • At 29 January, 2005 11:08 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Sara!

    I just stumbled onto your blog, and wanted to tell you I'm in R110 too! Who is your teacher? I have Olson, and he's just great-keeps us all laughing. I actually gave that same speech on the same day! Currently working on the next--the impact one. I agree it's tons more reading, research, and fancy outlining than Mrs. Baumgardner's class. Hope it's going well for you!

    My blog is https://www.xanga.com/wee_wonderous_works
    I have posted my thoughts on speech class as well :-)

    ~Nirmala

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home