saraelisabet

...observations on my life and things around me...

Monday, March 26, 2007

How to Talk to Boys 101

So I was a-sittin' in gender and communication class like a good girl, listening to people discuss religion in the context of gender inequality, when I heard this stuck in the middle of something one girl was saying:

"...and Christians aren't supposed to judge so I think that..."

I'd already opened my mouth more than most people, and I didn't know exactly what to tell her, anyway. How do you respond when people say that Jesus said not to judge? What verses do you use in support of your position?

3 Comments:

  • At 26 March, 2007 13:39 , Blogger Josh said...

    Matthew 18:15-17 Verse about correcting others when they sin.

    Romans 2 If you read the whole passage it seems to be talking about God's judgement and why the people have no excuse, not about judgin others.

    Matthew 7 This is the passage they are basing their claims on. If you read through the whole passage in context, it is telling people not to be hypocrites. This is totally different from not judging others, though this verse gives a prime example of why you should be careful when doing so. Their whole claim is based on a verse that has been taken way out of context so it should be easily refutable.

    James 5:19-20 Verse about turning a sinner back from his sinful ways.

     
  • At 26 March, 2007 14:43 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What was she saying Christians weren't supposed to judge about? Context matters to how you'd reply to her.

     
  • At 26 March, 2007 19:22 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yes, it would. The main point I am making is that she was not taking the verse in context.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home