saraelisabet

...observations on my life and things around me...

Monday, October 23, 2006

being romantic, oddly enough

I feel like jumping up and down. This is a lovely gem I stumbled upon almost accidentally. It is true that half of the reason I feel like jumping is that it fits perfectly into the journal I am writing for poetry class, but the other half is because it is just so beautiful. Sigh... and I am the least romantic member of Shingle Paradise, too! (This has been proven. Ask for details if you need them.)

Without further ado, let me present poem 20 by Petrarch, translated from Italian by A. S. Kline:

Ashamed sometimes that your beauty,
lady, is still silent in my verses,
I recall that time when I first saw it,
such that nothing else could ever please me.

But I find the weight too great for my shoulder,
a work not to be polished by my skill:
the more my wit exercises its force
the more its whole action grows cold.

Many times my lips have opened to speak,
but my voice is stilled in my chest:
who is he who could climb so high?

Many times I've begun to scribble verses:
but the pen, the hand, and the intellect
fell back defeated at their first attempt.


*wistful dreamy look*

A guy who admits that he can't write poetry about you is very appealing (never mind that he just dashed off fourteen beautiful lines...)

5 Comments:

  • At 24 October, 2006 00:53 , Blogger Jeremiah said...

    Wow... That's pretty amazing.

     
  • At 26 October, 2006 01:26 , Blogger Charity said...

    I second that "wow". I just re-read it a second time. Another wow. And another echoed "wistful dreamy look". :o)

     
  • At 27 October, 2006 12:28 , Blogger Mary said...

    *sigh* isn't it amazing how words can sound so lovely when put together the right way? Also......I miss you.....we must talk sometime so I can tell you about the move. Cheers lovie. ^_^

     
  • At 29 October, 2006 05:41 , Blogger Nathan said...

    you have to be more careful, sara!

    you might have with this very post inadvertently inspired andrew to try his hand at poetry!

    it's okay andrew . . . just put the pen down and take a slow step back . . .

    flowers and chocolate work just as well, man.

    i mean, sure these italians might be able to say things pretty. but i bet this petrarch guy couldn't fix sara's bike, unless you put the instructions in sonnet form.

     
  • At 29 October, 2006 23:17 , Blogger Tamara Rose said...

    aww... thats very cute. :) Sorry for not getting back to your comment till now ( i just looked though old ones :)). This is only like what.... 3 or 4 month late? Sorry, but i really did like the comment :-P
    (LOL you have probably forgotten by now, oh well)

    Ok well i'll try and start commenting more on your lovely blog. Charity wants on so i've gatta go. ttyl.
    bye dear (and your pic is beautiful!)
    ~ the girl "down under" :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home